Title: Charming Series: Pax Arcana #1
Release Date: 2013-09-24
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Also by this author: Daring, Fearless
This was my second time reading Charming by Elliott James. It’s the first book in his Pax Arcana urban fantasy series, which came out in 2013. It is about an ex-Templar who is half werewolf. He meets a valkyrie and they work together to stop an evil vampire.
I’ve been trying to go back to a lot of books I read prior to starting the blog. Eventually, all the books I have read will have reviews. It’s a process that I don’t expect to be done quickly.
Perhaps I would have gone on to read book two, because book three is coming out this year, but our public library doesn’t have it. Anyway, I have mixed feelings about this book. I enjoyed it overall, and I would read the next one if given the opportunity, but I think this book could have been a little better.
Things I liked:
- conversational and sarcastic tone
- well-planned and unique mythology
- complex world; it seems like the author thought of everything
- action well-described, especially fight scenes
- clean and simple writing style, not flowery
- sometimes it’s funny
- interesting secondary characters
Things I didn’t like:
- main character didn’t seem invested in the story’s problem until closer to the end of the book
- the author stops to tell the reader about the mythology, which drags on for a while; it could have been given in smaller doses
- sometimes the information being given seems irrelevant and superfluous
- overuse of capital letters–if the sentence says “she screamed,” I don’t need the caps like a text message
As you can see, my dislikes were outweighed by my likes. I think it is definitely a book worth reading if you haven’t yet. You may not have the same dislikes as I had.